Friday, June 26, 2009

Heroes of Christ

Wednesday was a day of watching the children be heroes to each other and occasionally being heroes ourselves. To be a hero isn’t exclusive to having a super power. It means heaving a heart to help others and that is what I saw today.

It was the little things I saw that inspired me. Passing the bread politely, inviting someone into a game, things that even I somethings take for granted. Some of these girls that I’ve known for the past three years have changed. The changes are some that are simple that some would expect every child to know. They have learned to play with others kindly, follow directions and be quiet at the night’s worship so everyone can hear. To me, I feel like by coming here, I have made a difference in their lives.

Worship time that night was amazing, thanks to Diana (Trust the Art Degree). Diana and I dressed up as Luminera and Reflector, God’s Heroes. Di and I worked together to create the best costumes. Luminera (DI) was in a magical red and blue get-up with a duct tape belt and holster for a lighter. I, Reflector, had the most ridiculous costume ever. We covered Iulian’s helmet with tin foil and pasted a big R on the top. Then I had a shield made from a mirror and duct tape. The kids loved it! We lit candles and read the word of God to our PIPs (People in Peril). The rest of the team was our PIPs and did a good job at it.

I hope the rest of this week will stay positive as it has for the most part so far. I keep thinking to myself, are these the same girls that I’ve known for the last 3 years? In the end, I realize that the true hero in this story is God. He is the one who brought us here. He is the one who has a plan to touch the lives of these children and this team. I pray that I will always be his instrument of light and joy to the world.

Amen
~ Haley

No comments:

Post a Comment